hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:54:29 GMT
> Actually, from my perspective, re the 0.20 branch, they are not preferred alternatives
and are not complete as more were introduced into .21 (of which many are wrappers around the
stable apis for sake of transition).

Sorry, I must have been unclear, because this is part of the argument.
FileContext is only in 0.21 and- as was acknowledged more than once-
the mapreduce API is not useful in 0.20. However, the APIs in
0.21/trunk are both dev-preferred and usable. If Tom's 0.21 release is
concurrent with the 0.20-based 1.0, efforts to move users to the new
FileContext and mapreduce APIs will be undermined by the latter
release.

Summarily: given that the APIs are *not* fully functional, preferred
alternatives in 0.20- we shouldn't base our 1.0 release on it. Do you
agree? -C

> Which further complicates matters, it's an all or nothing switch, you can't use some
new and some old in the same app (see the Configuration/JobConf property that flags the new
apis in use).