hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2010 05:33:24 GMT

On Apr 1, 2010, at 9:31 PM, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:

> We have been testing the HDFS append code for 0.20 (using HDFS-200,
> HDFS-142), but I believe it is not ready for production yet. I am
> guessing
> that there would be another two months of testing before I would
> classify
> 0.20.3 + HDFS-200 as production quality.

Even before I saw Dhruba's message, it seemed that Doug was vastly
underestimating the time to get a usable release out the door. Heaven
knows that last time we tried to get 0.21 ready that I badly
underestimated the amount of work to the point where it missed the
window where Yahoo could have deployed it. I strongly applaud Tom's
work at trying to get a releasable 0.21 based on the current trunk. I
absolutely don't want a 0.20-based release and/or branch undercutting
efforts to fix trunk.

In my experience with releasing Hadoop, the bare minimum of scale
testing is a couple of weeks on 500 nodes (and more is far better)
with a team of people testing it. I think that releasing a 1.0 that
has never been tested at scale would be disastrous.

If Tom gets a rebased 0.21 out the door in the summer, that would put
trunk into good shape to be the foundation of a new release (0.22 aka
1.0) that is cut at the end of the year.

-- Owen