hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plans for a 0.21 Hadoop Release
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:16:29 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> and hopefully to get the new generic serialization api in before the
> branch.

Is this just HADOOP-6685?  Or does it also include MAPREDUCE-1183?

My instinct would rather be to revert the serialization API changes made
since 0.20 (mostly HADOOP-6165) if that's not an API we intend to
support, and not add new APIs at the last minute.  Tom's proposed that
the serialization API is "evolving", so we can technically change it
going forward, but we should still be cautious about promoting new APIs
without a clear consensus, and serialization APIs have proven
controversial in the recent past.  It might be also better to get some
experience with a new API in trunk before we include it in a release.

Doug