hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:09:04 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> In my experience with releasing Hadoop, the bare minimum of scale
> testing is a couple of weeks on 500 nodes (and more is far better) with
> a team of people testing it. I think that releasing a 1.0 that has never
> been tested at scale would be disastrous.

For the record, I never proposed getting a 1.0 release out that had been
scale tested in a few weeks.  Rather, I proposed getting an alpha 1.0
release out in a few weeks.  Bugfix releases from that, after testing,
could then be made.  My claim was that we might sooner get a stable
Apache release that supports append via this route than from trunk.

But, since there is opposition to this proposal, I will abandon it.

Doug