hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 18:44:54 GMT
Todd Lipcon wrote:
> With HDFS-200 we'd also need HDFS-142

Good to know.  I' have to admit to being puzzled by HDFS-200, since
Nicholas resolved it as a duplicate on 7 January, yet Dhruba's continued
to post patches to it.

Dhruba, Stack: do you have any thoughts on the appropriateness of making
a release with HDFS-200 & HDFS-142?

> and potentially other fixes yet to be
> determined (this append work based on 200 is still ongoing).
> I don't think
> it will be "stable release" quality within a few weeks.

I assume that HDFS-200 as-is does more good than harm, no?  Also, 1.0.0
doesn't need to be flawless.  If we identify critical bugs after its
release, then we'll make a 1.0.1 release.  We might even call the first
1.0 release something like 1.0.0 alpha.  That said, I do believe it will
still be stable sooner than the release from trunk.

Doug