hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2010 16:00:51 GMT

On Apr 6, 2010, at 6:02 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Allen Wittenauer wrote:
>> On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Chris K Wensel wrote:
>>> we need a well healed 1.0 sooner than later.
>> Why?
>
> I think it would be good for a 0.21 with the newly renamed artifacts hadoop-common, hadoop-hdfs
and hadoop-mapred out there; I think the new APIs should be made available in a publicly usable
state. I'd rather that than suddenly say "oh, too many people are using the unstable stuff
we should give it a new number". By keeping it at 0.20, it makes clear its apis are unstable,

	My main point was that suddenly people seem to be hot to declare something 1.0.  I'm trying
to understand why, suddenly, various parts of the community seem to think 1.0 needs to happen.

	[The usual answer appears to be "adoption" but I think that's a bull-something reason masquerading
as "commercial viability"... which to me should not be a primary concern around an *open source*
software package.  I can't help but wonder if there are now a bunch of companies that feel
safe deploying OpenSSL based software since they finally declared 1.0.  (Altho it would be
nice to have a Hadoop 1.0 before 10 years elapse. *smile*  But if that is as long as it takes,
that's as long as it takes, IMO.) ]