hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Segel, Mike" <mse...@navteq.com>
Subject RE: Map-Reduce for Security
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:58:23 GMT
Suji,

I'm only a couple of months in to using Map/Reduce, but I think you have a couple of issues.
What do you mean by 'security'? ('Security' can mean different things to different people.)

Map/Reduce works at the 'row' level.
So if you were to encrypt the data, you'd have to encrypt it on a row by row basis and you'd
have to work out how you recognize the end of each 'row'.

Then in the map() method, you'd have to decrypt, do something, and encrypt the data output.
In your reduce() method, you'd have to decrypt, do something and then encrypt the data output.

This will secure your data. How well will be determined by how you design your map reduce
jobs.

HTH

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Sujitha [mailto:gscse@tce.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 1:15 AM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Map-Reduce for Security

Hi all,

In order to secure the content of HDFS is it right encrypting and
compressing data before storing it.

Is there any way to use map reduce for securing data in hadoop?

thanks

Regards
Suji

This email was sent using TCEMail Service.
Thiagarajar College of Engineering
Madurai-625 015, India

or paper files.