hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:43:17 GMT

On Mar 24, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Tom White wrote:

> I agree that getting the release process restarted is of utmost
> importance to the project. To help make that happen I'm happy to
> volunteer to be a release manager for the next release. This will be
> the first release post-split, so there will undoubtedly be some issues
> to work out. I think the focus should be on getting an alpha release
> out, so I suggest we create a new 0.21 branch from trunk, then spend
> time fixing blockers (which will be a superset of the existing 0.21
> blockers).

That's great, Tom. Thanks for stepping up. Given that you're proposing
rebasing 0.21, what is your preferred strategy? Are you going to pick
a feature freeze date? Or propose a more httpd-like process where you
cut the branch and then control what goes in?

Also note that the security work is not done in trunk. That isn't a
blocker of course, but I don't any one to have unrealistic
expectations that a rebased 0.21 would include all of the security
work. (The work is done in our Yahoo 0.20.100 branch that we should
push to github soon. We will also be forward porting the patches into
trunk over the next month.)

Thanks,
    Owen