hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Shvachko <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:13:34 GMT
HDFS 0.20 does not have a reliable append.
Also it is (was last time I looked) incompatible with the 0.21 append HDFS-256.
That wouldn't be a problem if that was the only incompatibility. But it's not.

If 1.0 is re-labeled or re-branched from 0.20 we will have to many incompatibilities
going into further releases so that we will have to call all of them major ones
for the foreseeable future.

I don't understand what is wrong with 0.21 released from 0.21?

- Making a new release from trunk will take long time to stabilize.
- Branching out 0.20.x as 1.0 introduces too many incompatibilities.

I would like to propose a straightforward release of 0.21 from current 0.21 branch.

--Konstantin