hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:04:43 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> It is tempting and I think that 0.20 is *really* our 1.0, but I think
> re-labeling a release a year after it came out would be confusing.

I wasn't proposing just a re-labeling.  I was proposing a new release,
branched from 0.20 rather than trunk.  We'd introduce some changes,
after voting on each of course.  Candidates are MAPREDUCE-1623 and
MAPREDUCE-1650, to better clarify what's intended to be supported in
1.0, and HDFS-200, to make append reliable.

Since we have not yet made a 0.21 release, this numbering would be
consistent.  It also naturally permits further 1.x releases that add
features, like security.

Doug