hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release process
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 03:22:39 GMT

On Mar 30, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Another release we might consider is 1.0 based on 0.20.

It is tempting and I think that 0.20 is *really* our 1.0, but I think
re-labeling a release a year after it came out would be confusing.

I think that we should change the rules so that the remaining 0.X
releases are minor releases. That seems a relatively minor change and
just means that we can't remove deprecated items until 1.0.

I'll volunteer to be release manager for a release branched in
November, which should be roughly 6 months after Tom's new 0.21 release.

One possible release numbering would have the November release be 0.99
and a matching 1.0 that removes all of the deprecated methods.

-- Owen