hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Wang Xu <gna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on job scheduling
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 01:55:51 GMT
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:00 AM, arun kumar <arunkumar_skcet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My questions are:
> 1. Will such a change improve the performance? Considering the overhead caused by moving
the data blocks.

In some special case, it might improve the performance, but it depends
on your application.

> 2. I believe I will have to start from the NameNode to move the blocks. If anyone can
give me a brief explanation on the process to implement this or even sources to find information
on this it would be very helpful.

I think some of the work might initiate from client. Could you
describe what you want to do in detail?
 1 do you want to specify datanode to store special blocks, or only
want some blocks are located together?
 2 do you want to specify the location of all the replicas of a block,
or only want to specify one of the replicas.

--
Wang Xu
Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue