hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From arun kumar <arunkumar_sk...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question on job scheduling
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:00:33 GMT
All,

I am a newbie and trying to learn the Hadoop internals. I have got a few questions on something
that I am trying to implement. I am still in the learning process, so these questions may
seem silly or may even be entirely wrong, any guidance is highly appreciated.

I am working on release 0.18.3 and trying to do some job scheduling, that is: instead of placing
the data blocks on specific/desired nodes when input files are copied into HDFS, I am trying
to move the blocks from their original locations to these desired/highly efficient nodes just
before job submission.

My questions are:
1. Will such a change improve the performance? Considering the overhead caused by moving the
data blocks.
2. I believe I will have to start from the NameNode to move the blocks. If anyone can give
me a brief explanation on the process to implement this or even sources to find information
on this it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Arun