hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Palikala, Rajendra (CCL)" <RPalik...@carnival.com>
Subject Can Hadoop run on Virtual Machines in Solaris
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:37:58 GMT
Hi,

We are thinking of alternate technolgies for our ETL process to Datawrehouse. I was interested
in Hadoop. But had a question. Is it possible to build a Hadoop cluster on virtual machines
in the same physical box. Has anyone in the group implemented Hadoop on VM's. Please advise.

Thanks,
Rajendra

-----Original Message-----
From: Isabel Drost [mailto:isabel@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 10:51 AM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: A beginner question

On Thu Neo Anderson <javadeveloper999@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I am interested in distributed computing and would like to learn core
> concept e.g. MapReduce. However, I am new to Hadoop. So I get a
> question - is there any simple task (e.g. jira issue) that would be
> good for a beginner to start with?

Before going into jira and looking for issues to improve Hadoop, you
should probably first get acquainted with Hadoop as a user.

As suggested earlier already, reading the original Map Reduce paper
should help already.

The next step would be to go to the Hadoop web page and work through
the tutorial. Also look at the examples that come with the Hadoop
distribution.

Isabel