hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop coding style guideline
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:00:49 GMT
> My preference is to permit both.  I like to maximize the amount of readable
> logic per screen, and find that close braces around one-line expressions
> don't improve readability (since indentation already indicates the nesting)
> and decrease the amount of per-screen logic. However I know reasonable
> people who prefer to always fully-bracket their code.  I see no strong
> reason to force one style over the other.

I see a couple benefits to choosing one and being consistent:
consistency makes code more readable (the main motivation for a style
guide) and works well with automated tools (eg would be nice if
checkstyle didn't generate huge diffs). Would also be nice to follow
the Sun convention since that's what Hadoop claims it does.

Thanks,
Eli