hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Should we freeze the public stable APIs after 0.21.0?
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:16:24 GMT
We are getting closer to being able to release a Common/HDFS/MapReduce
1.0. I'd hope that we'll get the last set of things in to 0.22 that
mean that it would be labelled 1.0. Toward that end, I'd like to start
locking down the APIs that we've marked as public stable. What that
would mean is that any interface that is tagged with the
@InterfaceStability.Stable and @InterfaceAudience.Public in the 0.21.0
release should not have any changes committed that require a
recompilation of client code. This will provide a stable basis for our
users' applications and reduce the costs of upgrades.

Clearly, I'm +1.

-- Owen