hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Towards Hadoop 1.0: Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:40:51 GMT
Allen Wittenauer wrote:
> Oh, I completely understand.  I'm just throwing in a non-developer's
> opinion... because I'm sure I'm not the only one expecting/assuming that 1.0
> == completely stable.

If we have to live up to that expectation then we might never release
1.0!  Frankly, I fear the longer we delay a 1.0 release the more we
raise expectations that it will be all things.  Rather, I'd like to have
1.0 to mean just one thing: back-compatible APIs until 2.0, with the
expectation that there will be several 1.x releases between.  We can add
other things to 1.0, which might push it out further, but I don't see
how that helps things much.

Would it be materially better for you if we waited longer before calling
a release 1.0, assuming that the same features are released in the same
order and on the same schedule regardless of the release name?

Doug