hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Towards Hadoop 1.0: Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 20:18:47 GMT
Allen Wittenauer wrote:
> This is just so disappointing and, quite frankly, makes 1.0 less than useful
> for Real Work.  Great, the APIs don't  change but you still have the same
> problems of getting data on/off the grid without upgrading your clients
> every time.
>
> To me, without wire compatibility, 1.0 makes me feel pretty "meh; who
> cares--we're still going to be in upgrade hell".

The question is not whether wire compatibility is a good thing.  The
question is whether API compatibility is useless without wire
compatibility and, vice versa, whether wire compatibility is useless
without API compatibility.  They're both valuable features and we should
get both of them out as soon as feasible.

The question is if one slips whether we should we hold the other.  I
don't think we should.  Hence we should not in advance tie a particular
release name to both features.  That's all I'm saying.  I claim that the
1.0 moniker is most strongly tied to API compatibility.  If we can get
wire and other sorts of valuable compatibility into that same release,
then great.  If one comes out earlier or later they're both still
valuable.  But neither needs to block the other.

Doug