hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Raghu Angadi <rang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: different modes of inter process communication
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:43:09 GMT

A heartBeat is also an RPC. When you pause Namenode for 30 sec the
datanode's heartbeat thread just waits for 30 sec for its heartbeat RPC
to return. Note that when you pause Namenode, the RPCs to it don't fail
immediately. During this wait, DNs can perform other transactions like
serving data to clients.