hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contributing to HDFS - Distributed Computing
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 10:28:52 GMT
Hrishikesh Mantri wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I am Masters student in CS . We are a group of two and are looking for adding some additional
features
> to the HDFS as a part of the Distributed Computing course project . Can someone please
provide us with pointers
> as in which direction we should take so that it can benefit the Hadoop community  ?
>
> Regards,
> Hrishi

I have some thoughts here :
http://www.slideshare.net/steve_l/hadoop-and-universities

* I would recommend steering clear of the big HA problem because while
it is the big issue with HDFS, it's the one where someone may set an
entire engineering team up to to solving, at which point your work is
going to have a hard time surviving.

* It might also be interesting to find some potential in-university
users of Hadoop, and work on their use cases.

* What's your timescale, location? It would be good if there were other
Hadoop developers locally, to give you a bit of in-apache mentorship

* Don't forget the tests. Apache code is very test centric. One key
benefit of working with an OSS project is your code gets used,  but it
does mean you need to embrace the community's test/development process,
which means junit tests for everything.

-Steve