hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Towards Hadoop 1.0: Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 22:15:54 GMT
Sanjay Radia wrote:
> No. The 1.0 proposal was that it included both API and wire compatibility.

The proposal includes a lot of things, but it's so far just a proposal.
  There's been no vote to formally define what 1.0 will mean.  In every
discussion I've heard, from the very beginning of the project, it
primarily meant API stability.  You've added wire compatibility, data
stability, security, restart recovery, etc.  These are all very nice
features to have, essential perhaps in some contexts, but they may nor
may not be required for 1.0.  I worry that if we keep piling more things
on, we'll never get to 1.0.

What would be wrong with calling it 1.0 when we have end-user API
stability?  Why would that be a bad thing?

Doug