hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Towards Hadoop 1.0: Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:35:31 GMT
Sanjay Radia wrote:
> I propose that we honor the compatibility of stable interfaces  from
> release 0.21 onwards;
> i.e. apply the same post 1.0 rules to pre-1.0 releases.

I think that makes 0.21 effectively 1.0.  The hallmark of 1.0 will be
our promise not to change APIs incompatibly until 2.0.  If we make that
promise sooner, then we're just accelerating 1.0.

I understood that the plan was to add inter-release wire compatibility
after 1.0, somewhere in the 1.x series of releases.  So, e.g., if we add
it in 1.1, then a 1.1 and 1.2 cluster would be able to make RPCs to one
another, but 1.0 would not be able to make RPCs to these releases or
vice versa.

Doug