hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Weird 'java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 134' problem
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:19:50 GMT
Hi Tony,
Signal 134 usually means the JVM crashed hard. So, you're looking at either
a JVM bug or simply an OutOfMemory situation. There are two possibilities
that might explain why you see the issue on the 64-bit JVM and not the
32-bit:

1) There could be a bug present in the 64-bit but not the 32-bit. Are you
running the same exact Java release or is your 32-bit possibly newer?

2) The 64-bit JVM will take more heap size for the same program than the
32-bit. This is due to the extra overhead of object references in a 64-bit
heap. There's a "Compressed Object Pointers" option recently introduced that
can reduce this overhead, but it's not enabled by default as of yet.

You should be able to look at the stderr output of the tasks that fail to
deduce what's going on.

-Todd