hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Giovanni Tusa <giovan...@gmail.com>
Subject Current security implementation in Hadoop
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:00:48 GMT
Hi all,

on my company we recently began some projects where we would like to
actively use hadoop.
For one of them, basically we have implemented a feed service where feed
entries (there could be a lot of data because many different users can post
feeds), are actually stored in the server filesystem (for the moment only
one server) by using Hadoop.S

Such a system needs some security improvements, and I'm wondering what kind
of security mechanism is currently provided by Hadoop.
For example, only allowed users should be able to access, from the browser,
to our service to read data (because they will normally be sensitive data),
provided that they have access credentials (authenticated and authorized
users). Also, the same data should be secured by using some forms of
encryption for the server-to-client data transfer.
I read some old posts and discussions inside the hadoop project concerning
security, but I am a little confused on what is actually implemented
concerning authentication, authorization and encryption, on which version of
hadoop, and if something currently provided can match my needs.

If someone could point me to the right direction, your help will be very
appreciated.

Giovanni