hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Amr Awadallah <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Need help understanding the source
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:30:17 GMT
To add to Todd/Ted's wise words, the Hadoop (and MapReduce) architects
didn't impose this limitation just for fun, it is very core to enabling
Hadoop to be as reliable as it is. If the reducer starts processing
mapper output immediately and a specific mapper fails then the reducer
would have to know how to undo the specific pieces of work related to
the failed mapper, not trivial at all. That said, the combiners do
achieve a bit of that for you, as they start working immediately on the
map out, but on a per-mapper basis (not global), so easy to handle
failure in that case (you just redo that mapper and the combining for it).

-- amr