hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: project split coming soon!
Date Sat, 16 May 2009 00:22:43 GMT
Dhruba Borthakur wrote:
> The goal of my earlier email was to keep the committer community together
> instead of splitting.

The goal of splitting the project is in part to split the community.
The Core Jira traffic is currently higher than many folks can easily
follow.  By splitting the project we hope to permit more folks to be
involved, since the time required to follow the new, smaller projects
will be less.  Folks who are primarily interested in only one subproject
will have more time to work on patches since they'll spend less time
reading messages for issues they don't care about.  We also hope that
there will be significant overlap between subproject communities, so
that the TLP continues to make sense.

Doug