hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: project split coming soon!
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 22:12:22 GMT
Jim Kellerman (POWERSET) wrote:
> I have to agree with Dhruba. I don't see the need to split up committers
> (esp if they are on the PMC).

PMC members are moot here, since all PMC members have permission to
write anywhere in the Hadoop tree.  So the question is whether all
non-PMC committers to Core should also be given commit access to the new
HDFS and Mapred subprojects split off from Core.

As a general rule, we remove folks commit permission if they have not
committed in a year.  We usually ask first, and, if someone claims
they'll start committing again soon, we give them the benefit of the
doubt.  So a reasonable way to do this would be to construct these lists
based on those who've committed to the relevant areas in the past year,
but that might be difficult to determine precisely, pre-split.

Owen made a guess, and posted notice.  Anyone who has committed to
mapred or hdfs code in the past year, or expects to soon but was not on
Owen's mapred or hdfs lists should speak up now.  That seems like an
entirely reasonable process, consistent with the way we've managed
committer lists in the past.

An alternative might be to put everyone on all the lists, then, in a
year, remove those who've not committed to a subproject.  That might be
simpler to implement.  I would not veto either approach.  Owen is
willing to do the work here, and I'm willing to let him decide.

Doug