hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Hemanth Yamijala <yhema...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: GridEngine module for Hadoop on Demand
Date Sat, 09 May 2009 09:55:26 GMT
Daniel Templeton wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  Grid Engine works roughly the same way wrt
> parallel jobs, except that we call the tasks the master and the
> slaves.  Grid Engine does not have a pbsdsh equivalent, but it would
> be a really trivial wrapper script to write for qrsh, which is pbsdsh
> minus the automatic use of the nodes files (called the pe_hostfile in
> Grid Engine).
>
> I assume from the 3-task minimum that the JobTracker gets a slot, the
> NameNode gets a slot, and there has to be at least one slot running a
> DataNode/TaskTracker.  Correct?
Yes
> Should a single job be prevented from running more than on hodring on
> a single host?

More than one hodrings  can be launched on a single host. However, this
means more than 1 instance of a slave would get launched - like 2
tasktrackers and 2 datanodes. In practice, we've seen that while this is
also OK, when we start running M/R tasks on such a system, it slows down
the system quite a bit. Hence I don't think this is really useful.
> How do I go about contributing this Grid Engine extension to the HoD
> source base?

Please feel free to submit a patch if you've figured out all the
details. It should be against the current code base. Please refer to
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute for details on contributing.

Thanks!
Hemanth