hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Chacko <peterchack...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: doubt regarding multiprocessing in hadoop
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 14:50:25 GMT
If your process is not inherently designed for concurrency with
multiple logical components as different threads of execution,
dispatchable to multiple cores in parallel, you cannot make it
mufti-core aware by splitting it as different threads. (if these
threads are sequential by nature, you get the same compute  latency )

If  your process is computation intensive, you can try using intel
CMP-compilers, or  if it is IO intensive, there is nothing much you
can do unless its a NUMA system or (any asymmetric cluster, where you
can leverage node-locality benefits).

I am just curious to know what process is this, that takes 1-2 weeks
to execute, in   CPUs. currently available in the market..

thanks