hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: project split coming soon!
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 22:03:26 GMT
On May 15, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:

> I would like to propose an alternative: the "GRAND-FATHER"-ing
> proposal to
> make all existing hadoop committers be committers on all three new
> sub-projects.

I wasn't trying to block anyone from being a committer anywhere they
want to be. I was trying to make a first pass at where I thought
people would want to be committers. Any committer can and should ask
on this thread to stay on all three sub-projects, if they want to. PMC
members automatically have commit rights on all of the sub-projects,
so it is largely irrelevant for them.

> And then adopt a process to create new committers specific to
> one sub-project.

Of course in the future there are 3 distinct lists, so they will
naturally drift.

> 1. The proposal of breaking up the existing set of committers into
> individual sub-projects seem to be adhoc. I would hate to support a
> scheme
> that causes more controversy, especially among the core set of
> committers.

It was naturally adhoc, but it should not cause controversy. The
choice is completely up to the individual committer. I tried to make
that clear. All I was trying to do was set up the default values to
minimize the number of emails that people had to send me.

-- Owen