hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Decoupling Intertracker protocol
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2009 06:47:35 GMT

On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Samprita Hegde wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am trying see the feasibility of using shared spaces for the
> communication of the Task Completion Events in Hadoop. For this I am
> trying
> to replace the InterTracker Protocol with a co-ordination space so
> that one
> thread in a Task Tracker puts the MapTask Completion Events on to
> the space
> and another Thread  receives these events sends them to the Reudce
> Tasks
> launched by that TaskTracker. .Even the Job tracker can subscribe to
> these
> events to make decisions regarding scheduling/ Restarting the
> sluggish tasks
> etc ..

It's an interesting experiment, please keep us posted.

> Currently all the information seems to be sent via the heartbeat
> message in
> the InterTracker Protocol. Is there a way where I can decouple only
> some
> part of heartbeat message and put it on to the space? (Especially the
> TaskCompletionEvent and TaskStatus). Using this the task completion
> events
> can be exchanged directly among the Task Trackers adn not through
> the Job
> Tracker.

You would need to fix the TaskTrackers to update the shared-space
rather than send it to the JobTracker.

One pertinent point to remember is that you do need some global
arbitration for e.g. deciding which among the concurrently successful
speculative tasks are to be declared as 'successful' etc.

Arun