hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From snehal nagmote <nagmote.sne...@gmail.com>
Subject Need Help hdfs -How to minimize access Time
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 05:10:15 GMT
Hello Sir,
I am doing mtech in iiit  hyderabad , I am doing research project whose aim
is to develop the scalable storage system For esagu.
The esagu is all about taking the crop images from the fields and store it
in the filesystem and then those images would be accessed by agricultural
scientist to detect the problem, So currently many fields in the A.P. are
using this system,it may go beyond A.Pso we require storage system

1)My problem is we are using hadoop for the storage, but hadoop retrieves
(reads/writes) in 64 mb chunk . these images stored would be very small size
say max 2 to 3 mb, So access time would be larger in case of accessing
images, Can you suggest how this access time can be reduced.Is there
anyother thing we could do to improve the performance like building our own
cache, To what extent it would be feasible or helpful in such kind of
application.
2)Second is does hadoop would be useful for small small data like this, if
not  what tricks we could do to make it usable for such knid of application

Please help, Thanks in advance

Regards,
Snehal Nagmote
IIIT Hyderabad