hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Amandeep Khurana <ama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Design for security in Hadoop
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:12:57 GMT

> On 3/20/09 2:47 PM, "Amandeep Khurana" <amansk@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 2. The Jira doesnt have cover the access control aspect of things. As a
> > client, I can skip talking to the NN and get blocks from the DN straight
> > away. There is no way to prevent it. This paper takes care of that aspect
> as
> > well.
> >

> Have you looked at HADOOP-4359? In that JIRA, we discussed the idea of
> using
> public-key signed capabilities and dismissed it in favor of symmetric-key
> based capabilities. That said, you're welcome to explore the public-key
> idea
> further.

Yes, I read through that. The issue with that approach is that the moment a
single DN gets compromised somehow (which isnt a big deal in a big system
containing 1000s of nodes), the symmetric key gets exposed and the entire
system is compromised. The whole idea of asymmetric key crypto is to allow
only a single authorized prinicipal to sign stuff.