hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: Hadoop 0.20.0
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 04:30:39 GMT

On Feb 25, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 7:52 PM, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:
>
>> "Whipping out a patch" says nothing about its reliability.
>>
>> i would like some focus from the developer's community to properly
>> fix this
>> issue. I am willing to spend as much as time it takes ot get it
>> fixed the
>> right way, I but I would like even more constructive engagement
>> from more
>> people to get this one right. May I request you to see if you can
>> volunteer
>> to spend some time testing some of this code at scale ?(I have
>> access to 10
>> machines only for testing).

Dhruba, can you define "testing some of this code at scale"?  Do you
simply need access or folks who can run challenging jobs?  Scaring up
access to the cluster can be easy, but admin / user time isn't really
available.

> Sorry, I can't commit any time/resources to this right now.  Perhaps
> some hbase folks can.  In the meantime, can we make append
> configurable in 0.19.2 and 0.20.0?  I filed

As an outside, irrelevant observer, I think this is a really good
compromise.  Helps out HBase but also would help prevent rushing.

Brian