hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Sangmin Lee <sangmin....@gmail.com>
Subject HDFS load(traffic) balancing
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:22:39 GMT
Hi folks,

I have a question regarding hdfs' load balancing when it chooses target
datanodes for a block.
>From the code, it seems it make a decision based on the information from
previously heartbeats.
Since heartbeats come every 3 seconds, within that window we may end up
putting more load on some datanodes than others.
I noticed that for disk space balancing, namenode maintains scheduled block
information for each datanode which is updated whenever new block is
assigned to the datanodes.
Shouldn't we do a similar thing for traffic??

Thanks,
Sangmin Lee