hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Hadoop 0.19.1
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:55:16 GMT
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Nigel Daley <ndaley@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I would like to propose that we apply this same "fix" to sync in 0.19.1 and
> 0.20.0.  Since append requires the full semantics of sync, I propose we also
> disable append (perhaps throw UnsupportedOperationException from API?).
>  Yes, this would unfortunately be an incompatible change between 0.19.0 and
> 0.19.1.  We can then take the time needed to fix append properly in 0.21.0.

+1 on a 0.19.1 release with a 0.18.3-like solution removing some of the sync
symantics.  A stable hdfs takes precedence.

Please count us hbasistas in when testing of append is needed.
Applications' like hbase are plain broke without it (You may have heard us
mention this fact once or twice at times in the past -- smile).

Good stuff,
St.Ack