hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop 0.19.1
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:58:19 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:
> One thing about Git is that it has a more laid back notion of what is
> "trunk"; you'd end up with more a blurred distro, with -maybe- the Y!
> production scheme, the Cloudera branch, the steves-modified-branch, etc,
> etc -with people able to pick and choose which to merge in. There's less
> of a trunk+branches, more just a set of branches.

Yes, but trunk is what we share as a community, our consensus reality.
We should be careful not to overly fragment our community.  We can't
vote on a blurred release.  The ASF development style will change,
better embracing tools like Git, but we should change it slowly and
cautiously lest we lose what we value.

View raw message