hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Shvachko <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop 0.19.1
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 20:55:16 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Commits to a feature branch will send a message to the dev list, like
> any other commit.  And when folks commit to a feature branch, they
> should reference the Jira issue id, as in any other commit, so that
> folks browsing Jira can see the commits.
>
> When someone starts a feature branch they should note it in the Jira
> issue, so that folks know to browse the "Subversion Commits" tab to see
> the patch history.  I'd expect this to proceed as follows:
>
>   1. A comment proposing that a feature branch be added.
>
>   2. A comment by a different committer, endorsing the feature branch,
> and no comments objecting.
>
>   3. A comment stating that the feature branch has been added, what it's
> url is, and that folks should henceforth use the "Subversion Commits" or
> "All" tab to track the issue.
>
>   4. Committers can commit directly to the feature branch, without
> reviews.  Since committers must have a CLA on file, Apache license is
> assumed.
>
>   5. Non-committers can submit patches against the feature branch to the
> issue in Jira.  These would require the license signoff as usual.

+1. I agree: no review requirement for feature branches, and 1-5.
I would add to this (6) merging a feature branch to an official branch
goes through regular patch process, that is, a new jira is created with
the patch attachment, which now goes through the review process.

> Everything would still be in public, on the dev list, as now.
>
> Note that we do *not* want feature branches in external repositories,
> since commits there would not generate commit messages to the dev list
> nor would they generate links in Jira, etc.

Didn't understand this: external to what? What is internal repository?

--Konstantin