hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zeroconf for hadoop
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:01:18 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2009, at 2:02 PM, nitesh bhatia wrote:
>
>> Apple provides opensource discovery service called Bonjour (zeroconf).
>
> I don't know enough about Zeroconf to be able to answer definitively,
> but I suspect the hardest bit would be figuring out the approach. Of
> course Hadoop has to continue to work on other platforms, so
> cross-platform strategies are better.

Take a look at ZooKeeper (a sub-project of Hadoop):
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/

Among other features ZooKeeper provides group membership and dynamic
configuration support -- you could modify the various Hadoop processes
to query & register with ZooKeeper when they come up. This could be used
for node/service discovery as well as auto configuration of the processes.

Patrick