hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we continue to support Windows?
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:58:06 GMT
Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> HADOOP-5114. The problem seems to be in ConnectException.
> The rest is just how it is revealed by different servers/clients.

If this is indeed just a single bug that's causing 30 tests to fail, I'm
not sure it's yet time to abandon Windows compatibility.  It would
surely be nice to, but I suspect there are large numbers of folks who
use Hadoop on Windows but who are not well represented among Hadoop
developers (i.e., who regularly use trunk) and who would be dismayed if
we stopped supporting Windows.

If we really want to pursue this, we should perhaps first conduct a poll
on core-users.

Doug