hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Hadoop 0.19.1
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:16:28 GMT
Folks,

Some Hadoop deployments have upgraded to 0.19.0.  Clearly, the 0.19
branch has issues and a 0.19.1 release is needed.

Quality issues in the changes made for the file append feature have
prevented some from deploying Hadoop 0.19.  One of these changes
(sync) has now been "fixed" by reducing its semantics in Hadoop 0.18.3
(HADOOP-4997).  This was necessary to stabilize the 0.18 branch.

I would like to propose that we apply this same "fix" to sync in
0.19.1 and 0.20.0.  Since append requires the full semantics of sync,
I propose we also disable append (perhaps throw
UnsupportedOperationException from API?).  Yes, this would
unfortunately be an incompatible change between 0.19.0 and 0.19.1.  We
can then take the time needed to fix append properly in 0.21.0.

I will call a vote for 0.19.1 and 0.20.0 when blockers are fixed.

Nigel