hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject commit Forrest output?
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:54:35 GMT
We currently re-generate PDF and HTML documentation whenever we commit a
documentation patch, which creates huge commit messages that few read.
This was originally done so that folks who check out the sources from
subversion did not need to install forrest in order to read the
documentation.

Perhaps we should change this.  Some options:

1. Do not commit Forrest output at all.  Documentation would be
generated as a part of release builds, or when a developer wanted to
browse it, just as javadoc is.  Documentation on the website would be
extracted from the release tarball, just as javadoc is.

2. Do not commit Forrest output except when preparing for a release.

3. Keep committing Forrest output each time a documentation change is made.

(I'm speaking here about the versioned documentation, that's included in
releases, not the project website, which we commit for a different
reason--so that ops can quickly rebuild it--and that changes more slowly.)

My preference would be for (1).  Thoughts?

Doug