hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Feature Designs and Test Plans
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:14:39 GMT

On Nov 19, 2008, at 10:23 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
> I propose that before we commit issues marked as "New Feature", they
> must have:
>  1. a design doc attachment
>  2. a test plan attachment
> (Templates to be provided for both)
> I believe these 2 items will enhance the communication, design, and
> quality of our new features.
> Are committers open to adopting these further guidelines?

+1 with the expectation that common sense will prevail for smaller
features. (Maybe we should have a jira-type for "Big Feature" ? *smile*)

Nigel, do you have a proposal for the templates?

Maybe it would be good to have a simple textual template with the
happy implication that people can put the design up as a jira comment
(with markup?) after the discussion (comments) along with an attachment.
Implication: it is easier for a late gate-crasher to ignore
discussions and concentrate on the the 'proposal' as it evolves over

View raw message