hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Feature Designs and Test Plans
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:23:48 GMT
Hadoop Committers,

The Hadoop project has grown to become a critical platform for many
companies.  As we approach a 1.0 release (perhaps within the next 6
months) I think it is time we adopt some more rigor around designing
and testing new features.

As committers, we are already given a couple duties that relate to
quality.  From http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToCommit :

> If a committer reviews a patch they've not authored, and believe it
> to be of sufficient quality, then they can commit the patch,
> otherwise the patch should be cancelled with a clear explanation for
> why it was rejected.

> Patches should be rejected which do not adhere to the guidelines in http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute

>  and to the http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/CodeReviewChecklist.
> Committers should always be polite to contributors and try to
> instruct and encourage them to contribute better patches.

These have been a good starting point, but I'd like to propose more
rigor.

I propose that before we commit issues marked as "New Feature", they
must have:
   1. a design doc attachment
   2. a test plan attachment
(Templates to be provided for both)

I believe these 2 items will enhance the communication, design, and
quality of our new features.

Are committers open to adopting these further guidelines?

Thanks,
Nige