hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feature Designs and Test Plans
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:54:43 GMT
Nigel Daley wrote:
> I propose that before we commit issues marked as "New Feature", they
> must have:
>   1. a design doc attachment
>   2. a test plan attachment
> (Templates to be provided for both)

Clarifying test expectations is a good idea in principle.  I gather that
what you're after in (1) is an enumeration of new functionality and in
(2) corresponding tests.  That sounds reasonable for large new features,
but might be overkill for small features, no?

I'd like to see the templates and some examples.  Documents would
preferably be in some open format, like HTML or plain text.

Is there an assumption that, before the patch is committed, that the
tests in the plan will be implemented and passed?  Are these to be
automated tests, with the goal that we'll end up with automated
regression tests for all features?

Doug