hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject upgrades and old clients
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:11:03 GMT
Hi.

As we prepare to do a upgrade on our cluster this weekend, I had to stop
and think what a PITA it is to go around and upgrade all my clients at
the same time, especially if we have to roll it back again.

So I was wondering how hard it would be to make the RPC mechanism that
the clients communicate on able to talk >2< versions of the protocol.
'N' and 'N-1' so that we could upgrade the cluster, and slowly upgrade
the clients, possibly even on a secondary port.

or am I missing something in the manual that allows this to happen already?

regards
Ian