hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Multi-language serialization discussion
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:40:35 GMT
I've been reading the discussion about what serialization/RPC project
to use on http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Release1.0Requirements, and I
thought I'd throw in a pro-Thrift vote.

It's already got libraries in many languages. It has pluggable
protocols and transports (including asynchronous ones, in some
languages), and even includes server implementations. It's
automatically versioned and transparently backwards compatible with
other versions. It will shortly be just as compact and fast as
Protocol Buffers, and it's already in Apache.

As someone who has been working with and contributing to Thrift for a
few months now, I have to say it seems like it fits the bill pretty
nicely. The only possible issue is maturity, but hey as an Apache
project yourself, you know what the solution to that is - patches!

If there are further detailed questions about features of Thrift or
problems it might have, I'd love to make myself available to help
answer them.

Thanks
Bryan