hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Goel, Ankur" <ankur.g...@corp.aol.com>
Subject RE: Multithreaded reduce
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:53:52 GMT
Folks,
      My implementation is a bit different. I am not using multithreaded
reduce runner. Instead using thread-pools to do DB and HDFS I/O from
each
of my reduce tasks. To give you example from my setup, I have 3 reduce
tasks each with a DB thread pool of size 70 threads. This is to ensure
that I have a maximum of 200 threads hitting the DB doing inserts into
multiple tables.

Setup MySQL with large configuration and this really makes the inserts
go at breakneck speeds.

Now each of the threads returns a result that I want to collect on HDFS
so I tried collecting the result via outputCollector from these threads
which gave me the same exception. I also tried synchronizing the
ouputCollector which did not help.

So then I decided to use a separate thread pool in each reduce task for
doing output collection via outputCollector. When this pool was set to
have only 1 thread, the exception did not occur. Setting it to 5 threads
or more caused the exception to show up.

I'll post the stack trace after reproducing the problem.

Thanks
-Ankur