hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject prohibit jira comment edits
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:59:21 GMT
Nigel Daley wrote:
>> Should we perhaps only permit project admins to edit & remove comments?
>
> +1

To elaborate on my rationale: comments log a discussion.  If folks are
permitted to edit and remove their comments then they can make the
subsequent comments of others irrelevant.  Folks should use the same
care before submitting a comment as sending an email.

To make things worse, Jira does not provide a 'diff'.  It is difficult
to tell what's been changed.  So when folks edit long comments, I
usually just ignore the edit, since I don't want to re-read the long
comment.

It is easier for everyone following an issue if instead of editing,
follow up comments are added.  Every comment results in hundreds of
emails.  One wastes a large amount of other people's time each time one
edits a comment just to, e.g., correct a typo.  If you care, proofread
before you submit, otherwise, let it go.

Doug