hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: question ipc
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:14:28 GMT

On Aug 19, 2008, at 10:57 PM, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:

> For Data transfer, large volumes of data needs to be transferred, so
> HDFS uses a streaming protocol between client and datanodes.

Another way to think about it is that Hadoop's rpc is not designed for
large data transfers, so we had to use a custom protocol. A similar
decision was made in map/reduce's shuffle, which uses jetty and http.
It is entirely possible that the rpc will be extended to support large
transfers and moving to rpc would help simplify a lot of the datanode
and hdfs client code.

-- Owen